Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sunday Stealing

1. Do you prefer winter or summer? Why?
Winter.  I'm not a hot weather person and you can always put on warmer clothing, but there is a limit to how much you can take off when it's hot

2. What are your favorite winter activities?
No real "winter activities" but curling up with a good book and a warm quilt.

3. Can you tell me about a time you went skiing or skating?
When I was in college, a group of us decided to go skiing.  I had never been.  I rented all the equipment here before we went into the mountains.  A guy was going to teach me how to ski and we started on the bunny slope  I remember him yelling at me to "plough!"  I had a difficult time holding onto the rope toe because I have always had terrible grip strength.  The third attempt to get to the top of the bunny slope, the heel came off of my boot and since I'd rented it here, I couldn't get a replacement.  By that time I was pretty tired of skiing anyway.  I've never gone again.


4. Have you ever made a snow angel?
Sure.  Those are fun.


5. Is your house cold?
We are lucky that we have a 2 story house and it both keeps the warmth in winter and the cool in summer.


6. Do you have a fireplace in your house?
Yes, but it hasn't been used in years.  For one thing there is a burn ordinance here, for air quality control.


7. What do you usually do to keep warm in the winter?
I wear a lot of sweatshirts over my t-shirts, and quilt over all of that, when I sit down.


8. Have you ever gone hiking in the snow?
I don't think so.


9. Tell me about a snowball fight you had.
I can't remember, but I'm sure we must have had snowball fights with the kids when we took them to the mountains.


10. Have you ever looked at a snowflake carefully?
I have not but I was really intrigued by the Big Bang Theory when physicist Leonard trapped a snowflake in glass for his girlfriend.


11. Do you have a sled? Have you been sledding?
I think we had one when the kids were little.  I don't think it lasted more than a year.


12. What do you usually do after a big snowfall?
Watch about it on TV since it does not snow here.


13. What’s the best thing about winter?
Cooler weather!!!!


14. What’s the worst thing about winter?
Well, in California, where we have drought conditions, not enough rain.


15. Have you ever been in a blizzard?
No.


16. Can you describe ice for me?
The ice I'm familiar with comes in cubes, is cold and wet and crunchy and goes in a glass over some liquid.  Then there is the ICE that likes to tear people away from their homes and send them to countries they have never visited.

 
17. Have you ever slipped on ice and hurt yourself?
Yes.  I was crossing the road in front of our condo at Lake Tahoe, where I had taken a bunch of students from Chile.  I slipped and fell on my head.  The leader of the group happened to be a physician and got me to the local ER to stitch up the gash in my head.  (The doctor by the way, returned to Chile and at one time was the physician for Augusto Pinochet.  I watched him give updates to reporters on YouTube.)


18. Have you ever had to shovel snow?
No, but I have a daughter who lives in Boston and she has definitely had her share of shoveling!


(her truck is under all that snow.  This was 2015)

19. Will you be watching the Olympics?
Not religiously, but I will watch at some of the events.  Loved the opening ceremony, especially watching the two girls from N and S Korea jointly carrying the torch.  The true spirit of the Olympics.


20. If yes, what are your favorite events?
I particularly like the downhill skiing (slalom and jumping) and snowboard events but also enjoy the skating events and any competition where the talking heads have spotlighted a specific athlete that I can cheer for.

No comments: