Sunday, November 12, 2017

Sunday Stealing


This is from a blog called Haley from Home.  Haley is a mom in the UK.  She's a mom to 3 boys and is on a quest for a simple life.



What are five things you would like to do more.
- Read
- Lunch with friends
- Spend time with my grandkids
- Have longer visits with my children
- Go to movies


What is your quote to live by
You can only make a difference if you care (lyric from "When You Care" a song in The Last Session)


What was the best thing that happened this week?
Walt and I took a fun trip up to Apple Hill, to visit all the apple farms there, eat apple stuff, take pictures and enjoy the beautiful day.  It's the kind of thing we almost never do.  We had such a good time!  Also Jon Stewart made a guest appearance on Colbert.


What is something you are stressed about?
I am always stressed about my mother's condition, especially her fainting spells and her anxiety attacks.  We are starting her on anxiety meds this week and I hope it helps.


What book has influenced your life?
I don't know that there is any one book.  At different times in my life I have found various books helpful.  I am currently reading a lot about dementia and Alzheimers.  The book that had the biggest effect on me was a little book called "How to Survive the Loss of a Love," which a casual friend gave me after my friend Gilbert died in 1986.  It helped me get through my first serious period of grief.


Share a childhood memory
Spending time in the basement of the local grocery store, where there was a cat with a litter of kittens.  I loved spending time there playing with them.  The apartment building next door had a basement and I was terrified to go there because I was told a "boogie man" lived there.


What fictional character would you most like to be?
At the moment, Claire Frasier, the heroine of the Outlander books. 

 
What is something you are proud of?
Having raised a litter of children who are now adults and are all nice people whom I consider my friends.


What was the last thing you celebrated?
We took Ned out to dinner for his birthday in August.


What are weird things you like?
Well, weirdness is in the eye of the beholder.  Some folks think Gilbert & Sullivan is weird, but I love it.  Also have heard people who say they would never eat an artichoke because it's so weird, but it's one of my favorite vegetables. 


What is your favorite song to sing?
Lately I am trying to learn Hamilton so I'm listening to the CD in the car all the time.  I love "The Room Where It Happened."


Name three things you do well.
- Procrastinate
- Cook
- Write


What are your priorities in life?
-
My mother's welfare
-  That pretty much overshadows any other priorities.


What is something that scares you?
The idea of ending up like my mother or having an accident or stroke that would incapacitate me and make me dependent on someone else for everything


Best book you read this year?
Hard to pick just one.  I loved most of the crime books I read this year, got engrossed in Katie Tur's "Unbelievaable" (about the Trump campaign), loved "Silent Footsteps" (about a woman's years observing elephants).  I just finished "Wonder," getting it finished before the movie comes ot next week.  It was an easy, fun read.

No comments: