Friday, August 18, 2017

Full Day

The computer (fixed--yay!) will be back today, but I was too busy to pick it up yesterday.

The day started at midnight with insomnia. I had gone to sleep early for me--10 p.m. And was wide awake at midnight and could not get back to sleep.  The last thing I remember was about 4:45.  The phone woke me up shortly after 5. It was Atria saying my mother was in great pain in her right arm and they could not calm her down. I was at Atria by 5:30.

She was miserable and periodically screaming out in pain. She had a blood bruise on her arm and i said i would call Kaiser, which I did. They couldn't see her until 2 but we had an appointment with the social worker for her long term care insurance at 3 and she needed to see the doctor in the morning.

There was a lot of discussion and ultimately i took her to the emergency room.  Making a very long story short, the doctor found a tiny hairline fracture which they put a splint on. This only took ~3 hrs. I was going to take her to breakfast but she wouldn't be able to use utensils so I just stopped at Starbucks for coffee and a muffin.

We got back to Atria and I left her and came home to sleep a little. I was totally exhausted. I woke up a couple of hours later when my guru called to let me know the computer was fixed, but I knew I didn't have time to get it.

Back to Atria. She was asleep and no sign of her splint which she had removed. I let her sleep until the insurance rep arrived.  I found her splint and put it back on her but she doesn't know what it's for and i'm sure she finally took it off again as soon as I left.

The exam took two hours and if there was any question of the company about her Alzheimers there is no longer any question!  The woman could not have been nicer and it was heartbreaking to watch her trying to answer questions like "what is your name?"

When it was over, I came home and collapsed. Walt, bless his heart, suggested we go out to dinner, which we did. A delicious new to us Japanese place which had the best miso soup I've ever tasted.

So i had a decent (for me) night of sleep and am ready to face another busy day which will begin with getting the computer and then going to a memorial service.

1 comment:

Laurelie said...

Hmm, well, I guess the saying of All's well that ends well is kind of fitting for today. Thankfully everything that needed to get taken care of was taken care of and you were able to enjoy a delicious dinner!