Sunday, July 30, 2017

Sunday Steallng

 I really like music and so I stole this from a blog called The Green Hearth, who says that some of these are "f*ing hard."  And they are, but I thought they were fun.  Let's give it a try.


        1: A song you like with a color in the title
"A White Sports coat and a Pink Carnation."
        2: A song you like with a number in the title
"76 Trombones."
        3: A song that reminds you of summertime
Nat King Cole's "Mona Lisa" always reminds me of summers at Boyes Hot Springs when I was in grammar school. We would be at the big pool and I would walk over to the snack bar to get taffy and it seemed that song was always playing.
        4: A song that needs to be played LOUD
Oh anything by John Philip Sousa or Beethoven's "Ode to Joy"
        5: A song that makes you want to dance
None really, but my toe does tap to polkas.
        6: A song to drive to
I just bought a 6-CD set of music from the 1950s, which is GREAT for driving with my mother.  She actually remembers all the words (though she can't remember anything else)
        7: A song about drugs or alcohol
"Bottle of Wine" by Tom Paxton
        8: A song that makes you happy
"Thank God You're Doin' Fine" by Lawsuit
        9: A song that makes you sad
"In the Arms of the Angel," which his widow sang at our son's funeral
        10: A song that you never get tired of

Halleljua (this version is particularly memorable) I also love "For Good" particularly this clip.
       11: A song from your preteen years
"Lollipop" by the Chordettes.  My father told me it was the worst music ever written.
        12: One of your favorite 80’s songs
I checked the top 100 songs of the 1980s and recognized about 6 of them.  Of those, I guess my favorite would be "9 to 5" since I just saw the musical this week.
         13: One of your favorite classical songs
"Vissi D'arte" from the opera Tosca
        14: A song that you would sing a duet with someone on karaoke
"You are my sunshine," which I used to sing with my cousin when we were both young.  My fondest memory is sitting under the big weeping willow in front of her house and harmonizing. It was the first time I learned about harmony


      

15: A song from the year that you were born"
"For Me and My Gal" by Judy Garland and Gene Kelly
        16: A song that makes you think about life
"When You Care" which has a wonderful message for everyone.
        17: A song that you think everybody should listen to
"Going It Alone," from the musical The Last Session
        18: A song by a band you wish were still together
Anything by Lawsuit
        19: A song by an artist no longer living
"For You" by John Denver
        20: A song that breaks your heart
The aforementioned "In the Arms of the Angel"
        21: A song by an artist with a voice that you love
"Stormy Weather" by Judy Garland (or pretty much anything Judy Garland recorded).  When I was working, in the 1960s, I used to come home from work each night put this song on, lie in front of the speaker and listen to it over and over again.  I don't know why--I wasn't particularly sad; just loved the song.

No comments: