Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sunday Stealing

Sunday Stealing: The Random Questions, Part 683 

1. How old do you look?
Well, I'm 74 and nobody ever believes I'm that old, but I don't know how old they think I look since they often think my mother is in her 70s, and she's 97.  Obviously we come from good genes.


2. Where do you live?
80 miles east of San Francisco, 20 miles west of Sacramento smack dab in the middle of the state.


3. Are you waiting for something?

Not really.  I'm always waiting, not happily, for a call that something has happened to my mother.  Every time the phone rings, that's my first thought

4. What’s one pet peeve of yours that is not common?
The sound of the vacuum cleaner drives me crazy.
5. Do you want/have kids?
We raised five children to adulthood and then buried two of them.  Now we have three living children and two grandchildren.


6. Have you ever thought about converting your religion?

Many years ago, in the midst of the pedophilia crisis in the Catholic Church, I gave up going to church in disgust at the duplicity (among other things).  I have not returned.  I don't know if I still think of myself as Catholic or not, but have not investigated other religions.  I think of myself as spiritual, but not religious.

7. Last shocking news you heard?
I haven't checked the news today, so I don't know what terrible thing Trump has done now, but starting to pull out of the Paris Accord was the last shocking news I heard.  But with this president, the shocking news changes from day to day.


8. What was the last thing you drank?
I'm still drinking it - a cup of Peet's French Roast coffee.


9. Who do you most look like in your family?
People tell me I look like my mother, and I can see resemblance, but I can also see resemblance to my father.


10. If you could have something right now, anything, what would it be?

A donut (I missed celebrating National Donut Day yesterday)

11. Where does most of your family live?
We live in Davis, near my mother.  Son Ned and his wife live 15 miles away in Sacramento, Tom and is family live 400 miles away in Santa Barbara, and Jeri and her husband live waaaay across the country, in Boston.


12. Where did you grow up?

I was born and raised in San Francisco (a 3rd generation San Franciscan and proud of it)

13. Where do you want to go on vacation?

Other than going to Santa Barbara for the 4th of July weekend, we have no vacation plans.  I don't want to do another long vacation while my mother is still with us

14. Have you ever had a panic attack?
Not a full blown panic attack, but mini attacks when I'm driving or riding on the freeway.


15. What can’t you wait for?

Autumn and the return of cool weather (and the hot weather hasn't really even hit yet!)

16. When’s the last time you told someone you loved him or her and meant it?
I try to tell my mother that whenever I leave her, because I never know if it's the last time I'll see her or not (yes, I have become fatalistic)


17. Have your parents ever smoked pot?

No.  Nor have I.  I was a child in the age of Reefer Madness and my father instilled such fear in me that I made it through the 60s without ever trying it.

18. Want someone back in your life?
Yes. 


19. What do you order at the bar?
Water.  If I have to order a drink-drink, it's usually a gin and tonic.


20. When was the last time you cried really, really hard?
I can't really remember.  Probably six years ago (see question #18)


21. What are your nicknames?
Other than grandma and mom, none.


22. What is your favorite thing to eat with peanut butter?
A spoon.  Both Walt and I snack on peanut butter right from the jar.


23. Where were you on July 4th, 2008?
Thanks to a daily journal and an index to every entry, I know exactly where I was.  I was in Santa Barbara, watching the hills above Goleta burn.  I was sitting in a house, trying to keep from choking on the smoke.  I knew danger to us was slight, but I still took precautions.

 
24. If you could go forward in time, how far forward would you go?
40 years from now to read history books and see how this time in history is remembered (and to see how horrible it became)


25. If you could go back in time, how far back would you go?
If I could go back in MY time, it would probably be to the early 1980s, when I was working with the Lamplighters and when all of my friends and children were all alive.  1980-86 was a good period for me.

No comments: