Saturday, June 10, 2017

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: C Is for Cookie
Don't blame Sam. Harriet requested Cookie Monster.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 

1) This week's featured artist, Cookie Monster says his favorite TV show is Monsterpiece Theater. What show do you try never to miss? This week's tune makes me realize how much I miss the old Muppet Show.  But some of my must-watch shows now are:  Jeopardy, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Madam Secretary, Scandal, Designated Survivor and the opening monologues of Colbert and Trevor Noah.  And, of course, when it returns for Season 3, Outlander.

2) Though he goes by Cookie Monster professionally, he is still called Sid by his family. When will you next get together with your relatives?
We will see many of them over the 4th of July weekend, when Tom hosts a big beach BBQ in Santa Barbara for his birthday

3) Now for the cookie questions! Where do you weigh in on this age-old controversy: Is a brownie a cookie or a cake? I've never realized there was a controversy.  There are many "bar cookies" like brownies and I never thought of them as anything but a cookie.

4) Fig Newtons contain no cholesterol. Do you read nutrition labels before eating snacks? Or does knowing the truth about your favorite sweets ruin your enjoyment?

I almost never read nutrition labels.  And I haven't eaten Fig Newtons since I heard the probably untrue story of a rat being ground up with the filling for the Newtons.  I was a kid then and haven't eaten a Newton since.

5) Biscotti are designed for dipping into drinks. Do you like to dunk your cookies
It depends on the cookie.  Oatmeal cookies always, biscotti usually, chocolate chip never.

6) Do you prefer cookies made with milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips? Or are you a rebel who prefers butterscotch chips?
Well, I am a milk chocolate person, but when I got hooked on Toll House cookies, they didn't have milk chocolate chips and I got used to the semi-sweet chips, so I bake with those (but I eat the cookies with the fewest chips in them!)

7) Bill Murray once said, "Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues." Do you like raisin cookies?
Yes.  Very much.  Bill Murray doesn't know what he's missing.
 
8) Nabisco still sells animal-shaped cookies in a red box that looks like a train car labeled, "Barnum's Animals." However Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus gave their last-ever performance on May 21, 2017. Have you ever been to the circus? We went regularly when I was a kid.  Barnum & Bailey performed at the Cow Palace in San Francisco and we could go outside after the show and see the animals (I fed peanuts to an elephant, who ate them out of my hand).  I think we took the kids once or twice to the show and a couple of years we went to the train tracks and watched the animals being unloaded and marched to the stadium where the shows would take place. (We won't talk about nearly being trampled by elephants.)  The problem with having five children is that admission costs so much we usually couldn't afford to go.  I stopped being enamored by circuses when I realized how badly the animals were treated.

9) Have you ever received a memorable fortune in a fortune cookie?
Nothing memorable comes to mind.


 

    Happy 95th birthday, Judy Garland

No comments: