Thursday, September 24, 2015

55 Questions about Books, Part 2

31 How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I write theater reviews for money and have no problem giving negative reviews if deserved. I think the worse review I ever gave was for James Patterson's Zoo.

32 Do you make up stories, or ever think about an alternate ending for a book because you want to?
No.  I'm happy with what the author came up with.  Or if I'm not, I don't waste time trying to think of something else.

33 Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? Why?
I don’t understand “intimidating” books.  Perhaps “Babi Yar” because it dealt with such an unpleasant subject, but I was still interested in reading it.

34 Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin? How come?
Moby Dick. I’ve never read it, have heard nothing good about it, have no plans to read it. (But I’m not nervous about it at all!)

35 What book do you try to steer people away from?
ZOO, by JAMES PATTERSON!!!! If you feel you must read it, please read my review first!

36 What book do you recommend most to others?
“The Mother Tongue” or Patrick Conroy’s “Prince of Tides” (MUCH better than the movie)

37 Do you ever re-read books? How many times have you re-read a favorite? If you don't re-read books, why not?
I don’t have time to re-read books now though I will re-listen to parts of any of the Outlander series when in the car because I love narrator Davina Porter. As an adolescent one of my favorite books was “Marjorie Morningstar” and read it many times.

38 Favorite fictional character and why?
I have a soft spot in my heart for Detective Harry Bosch because I’ve enjoyed watching his crime solving abilities and the hidden soft spot that few get to see.  I also love Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar...but I also love Claire Frasier from Outlander. Who doesn’t envy her finding the love of her life, even if she had to go to the 18th century to do it.

39 Favorite fictional villain and why?
I guess Voldemort in the Harry Potter series because I kept wanting to find out what his back story was.

40 Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Crime/drama books. Those are the easiest to read though I did read “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society” on a trip to France because it seemed that everyone else was reading it too. (Great book, by the way!)

41 The longest I’ve gone without reading.
I can’t even think. Not more than a day or two, surely. At least not lately.

42 Name a book that you could/would not finish and why you couldn't?
“Left Behind” by Tim LeHaye, which was highly recommended to me by my cousin, who loved the series. I found it so much religious manipulative crap that I threw it across the room and never finished it.

43 What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
My husband trying to tell me something.

44 Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
“Gone with the Wind” was pretty good.

45 Most disappointing film adaptation?
“Prince of Tides.” What Barbra Streisand did to that beautiful book was criminal. It may be a good movie, but as an adaptation of the book, it was terrible.

46 The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
I haven’t spent a lot of money in book stores in a long time. I buy kindle books one at a time and if I buy real books, they are from the used book store where I work If I ever spend $20 in one purchase that’s a lot for me.

47 How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never. Only to make sure the print size is large enough for me to read it.

48 What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
See question 42. Other than that, bad grammar. Some of the self-published books these days don’t have editors and that is a huge mistake. And I nearly did not finish Patterson’s “Zoo” because it was such a horrible book, but it was SO bad I figured it would be fun to review it...and it was.

49 Do you like to keep your books organized?
Surely you jest. I do not know the definition of “Organized” in any aspect of my life.

50 Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I either keep them or take them to the used book store where I work, which uses its proceeds to raise money for charity ($200,000 in the last four years)

51 Do you read for enjoyment or to gain knowledge?
Both, but mostly for enjoyment.

52 Name a book that made you angry. Why did it?
“Zoo” because Patterson used to be one of my favorite authors and this bunch of crap was so poorly written and the plot so bad that I can’t believe he actually wrote much of it. Patterson should think better of himself than to publish this junk.  From what I've seen of promos for the TV series, television has not improved the story.

53 A book you didn’t expect to like but did (from 2015)?
“The Martian,” which we read for book club. It’s very technical throughout, but the author has created such an interesting character and put him in a harrowing, yet not completely fatal situation that I kept reading to find out what happened.

54 A book that you expected to like but didn’t (from 2015)?
“The Rosie Effect.” The book club decided to read it because we all had enjoyed “The Rosie Project” so much, but the sequel was not nearly as good and I got tired of it quickly (though finished it so I could participate in the discussion – we all seemed to have the same reaction)

55 Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
All of my readng is guilt-free pleasure reading.  If you’re going to feel guilty for reading a book, maybe you shouldn’t be reading it.

No comments: