Saturday, November 22, 2014

Feeling Normal

Peach was up, bathed, dressed, and ready to walk Bob to his exercise class.  "Today is the first day I feel normal," she said.  And it showed on her face.

After we dropped Bob off at exercise, we headed for the beauty parlor on the third floor.  She had decided to get her hair cut short, so it won't be so much of a bother...or a shock, if she begins to lose it.

I decided to take a "before" picture, but my camera was giving me a "disk malfunction" message.  I went back to the apartment to get the back up disk, but the original disk appears a lost cause.  I am hoping that I will be able to retrieve the photos I have taken thus far.  The important ones have been published on this journal, but in small form and there are lots that have not been published.

But at least I had a back-up disk with me.  The beauty shop is charming.  Eileen shares the space with a reflexologist, and the whole shop overlooks the scenery outside.


I watched the whole transformation take place.


And when it was all over, I had to take a picture of Peach with the woman who had transformed her.


Eileen wished her well, gave her a hug and sent her on her way.  When we arrived at the dining room, it was a repeat of yesterday, with everyone lining up to welcome her back to "dinner" with them ("dinner" is the noon (largest) meal, and "supper" is what you have at the end of the day).


When Bob saw Peach in her new hair do, his face lit up like I have not seen it since I have been here.  He looked like a teenager who was picking her up for a special date.  It was heartwarming to see.


 "Feeling Normal" is wonderful.  There are two more days and then her next chemo treatment.  If the second goes the way the first went, she will have two days after that before reaction sets in.  Four days of "feeling normal" is wonderful to contemplate.  

Maybe the next treatment won't be as bad as the last one, since it will be only 1/3 as strong.

I'm an eternal optimist.

No comments: