Thursday, October 9, 2014

And Kari Makes Three

First of all, remember when I talked about that person my mother and I both loved who discovered she had cancer?  Well, until she made it public, I didn't feel it was my place to, but it's my cousin Peach, who is having a mastectomy in the morning at 6:30.  If you pray or light candles, or believe in prayer circles or whatever your brand of good vibes, please send them her way.  I feel so helpless being so far away.

I had my third coffee today, with Jessica "Moms" Brown.  

When I woke up this morning, coffee was "iffy" because I still had a sore throat and was still sniffling and feeling pretty crappy.   But when I got up and moving, I started to feel better and finally decided to go.

Jessica is the mother of Sarah ("Sarge") Clanton, who is in our kids' circle of friends.  In fact, she spoke at Paul's memorial, reading from her "sarcasm journal."  Paul would have loved it.  Sarah owns a catering business here in Davis, called "Stone Soup"

As Jessica and I sat there chatting, I was wondering who, of the strangers sitting around us, we could ask to take our picture for my Coffee F2F blog.  We sat there chatting for a long time and sooner or later Kari Peterson came out of the cafe. She's a great photographer and was happy to oblige by taking our picture.   




We began chatting and she would have loved to join us, but needed to get home to confer with her gardener.  Her blog entry for today, with a picture of her Meyer lemon tree, shows that this was a productive idea.

I will eventually get around to coffee with Kari for this project, but we have coffee together fairly regularly and just saw each other a few weeks ago, so I will put her off for later in the year.

After our coffee was finished, I did some shopping in the UC Davis book store, something I should have done a week or so ago, but I was happy with what I found.  Then I went to the market to do some shopping.  I really hate to shop, and I was feeing crappy, but I knew it had to be done, so I got it finished.

I ended up writing a letter to the manager of the store.   Since we went to no free bags any more and everybody encouraged to bring reusable bags, I always do that.  Today I had a whole bunch of bags, but the baggers seem to try to cram as much as they can into the bags.  There were five bags left over an the ones they packed were too heavy to lift.  Not only that, but the fullest bag had a dozen eggs perched precariously on top of everything in the bag.

The bagger carried my purchases to the car, but when I got home, I had to repack the food into more bags so I could just lift them.  

By the time I had the bags unloaded and the food put away, I felt like limp spaghetti, so I collapsed into my recliner and took my temperature.   It was almost 101, so I gave myself permission to take the afternoon off.   (I'm telling people I have a slight case of ebola.)  I also let the manager of Logos know that I would not be in tomorrow because I didn't think I should be spreading germs around...and I wanted to be well so we could go see Brianna's soccer game without fear of infecting the kids.

So I sat in the chair and moaned for most of the afternoon. 

I sent Walt to Atria to deliver my mother's meds and pick up her laundry, which I will wash and bring to her tomorrow.

I fixed dinner, but wasn't hungry so ate almost nothing.

What I've had to eat today:  a croissant and coffee at Mishka's, a tortilla with a bit of cheese for lunch, and a small chicken thigh.  I barely touched the couscous and peas that went with it.  If only I could feel like this all the time, maintaining a healthy weight would be cinch.

Now I'm off to sleep.  I said  that last night at this time and tossed and turned until 4 a.m.  Hopefully I won't have a repeat of that tonight.

At least my fever has finally gone back to normal and I don't feel like limp spaghetti, but more like al dente spaghetti.

Don't forget to say a prayer for Peach.

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

I'm so sorry about Peach. Lots of Tennessee hugs headed her way. And to you, too. Get to feeling better soon. Let us know how Peach comes through the surgery.

CountryDew said...

I hope you continue to feel better. And I am sorry about your cousin. Cancer ... such a bad thing.