Saturday, November 16, 2013

10 Things

There is a challenge going on around Facebook these days.   People challenge other people to write x number of things that nobody knows about them.  The number varies with the challenge.  Some are asked to write 3 things, some 10, some other numbers.  If you "like" a person's list then supposedly they will, in return, give you a number and you write that number of things about yourself.

I've "liked" a couple of lists, but nobody has responded (yet) by giving me a number.  But I've thought about it, in the event that someone actually does.  I wondered if I could find ten things about myself that I have not talked about over the last almost 14 years of writing this journal.  So I decided to do that exercise here.  I suspect that before I get to 10 I'm going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with something that might surprise people to know.

Here goes...

1.  I talked about the last almost 14 years I've been writing this journal.  You also probably know that there is a mirror journal on Blogger, "Airy Persiflage," with the exact same content, mostly for my friend Kari, who wanted to read it on her reader.  BUT, did you know that in addition to "Airy Persiflage," I also have 16 other blogs?  Some were for short-term things (like "My 70th Year"), some were private just for me, but somewhere out there there are 16 blogs by me.

2. My right foot turns in and I have always twisted it when I walk so I wear down the heel on my right shoe quicker than that on my left.

3. My favorite thing is to be kind of a fly on the wall listening to smart people discussing theater and movies.  I love the TV program, Theater Talk, and watch it religiously and I love Charlie Rose's chats with show biz folks.   But closer to home, I look forward each year to our New Year's Eve party and listening to actor and radio personality Stephen Peithman discussing theater and movies with actor and critic Jim Lane.

4. I was a breech baby.

5. I have been watching Jeopardy ever since Art Flemming (who retired in 1975) was the host.  I read in Wikipedia that Alec Trebec, who retires in 2016, will have been the host for 32 years, so I have been watching Jeopardy for about half of my life! I remember when Trebec's hair was black and he had a moustache.

6. I am essentially blind in my right eye, even more so now that a cataract completely covers my eye.  But there is a congenital defect to the eye and I can't have a simple cataract surgery. The doctor guesstimates that it will take 3 different operations to correct the defect and remove the cataract.  We decided to let it go for awhile, but the cataract has become so much bigger that for the first time it affects my vision and I'm thinking of having the surgeries after all.

7. Until now, the only surgery I've had was a tonsillectomy when I was 5 years old.  I look at Brianna today, the age I was when I had surgery, and I can't even imagine watching her go into an operating room to have part of her throat cut out.  I remember my mother bringing me comic books when I was in the hospital overnight.  I still remember that one of them included a scene with Donald Duck being sucked into a whirlpool.

8. I was the romantic lead in my high school play and I fell in love with my leading man, who, as it turned out, was probably gay.  We dated for awhile and I dumped him when I went to University.

9. Though I have been a Judy Garland fan all of my life, I really don't like The Wizard of Oz all that much.  I still watch it, but it's one of my least favorite of her films.

10. I took 5th prize in a writing competition where we had to write something about the Merchant Marine.  My prize was a cruise from San Francisco to Los Angeles on the ship the President Cleveland.  I have never felt any pride whatsoever in that win because the nun who "helped" me write it, really wrote the thing herself.  I don't remember a single fact about the Merchant Marine and couldn't tell you what my composition was about.

Well, hey.  Whaddya know.  I could come up with 10 things about myself that I probably have not discussed here

No comments: