Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Stealing

1. Are you a young heart or an old soul?
I think those aren't the only two options.  "Old soul" implies someone who has lived many lives and you can read the wisdom of the ages in their eyes.   "Young at heart" implies someone who sparkles despite age.  Im somewhere in the middle ... weather-beaten, but still here.

2. What makes someone a best friend?

Someone who is always there for you, with whom you can laugh and discuss anything, and who isn't going to rip your heart out and stomp on it.

3. What Christmas present do you remember the most?

Oddly enough it was a gift I didn't really like very much.  My parents bought me a faux fur jacket that my mother was so enthusiastic about, but which never fit me right and I rarely wore.

4. Tell me a movie/song/TV show/playbook that has changed your life.

Probably the 1954 "A Star Is Born" because it made a Judy Garland fanatic out of me.  The fanatacism died a long time ago, but it certainly shaped my life for many decades.

5. Name one physical feature that you like about yourself and one that you dislike.

My hair has always been my best feature, though with age it is starting to thin and beauticians no longer tell me what wonderful hair I have.  As for what I dislike, obviously it's the avoirdupois.

6. Can money buy happiness?

Absolutely not.  But if you are already happy, it can allow you to have a lot more fun.

7. What’s more important in a relationship: physical attraction or emotional connection?

Looks are fleeting, emotional connection lasts (or should last) forever

8. Is there anyone close to you that you know you can’t trust?

I can't think of anybody offhand.

9. Where was your favorite place to go when you were a little kid?

I liked to escape to a hill in San Francisco, three blocks from our house.   There was nothing there, really, except rocks and a view of San Francisco bay, but I spent many hours contemplating the world from that spot.  (It now sports a fancy schmancy high-rise.)

10. Have you spent a night in the hospital?

When I had my tonsils out at age 4, and each time I had a baby.

11. Do you enjoy being only with 1-2 friends or with a large group of people?

It depends on the friends and it depends on the group.  I don't like a large group of people, but a small group of like-minded people (I'm thinking of our New Year's Eve group) can be delightful, 1-2 friends can be very special.

12. Have you ever been bullied?

Not really.

13. If your partner wanted to wait until marriage until having sex, would you stay in that relationship?

We both did ... and we did.

14. Do you believe in God?

I believe in "something" but I'm not sure that it's an old white man with a long beard sitting on a throne.

15. Out of all the social networks in the world why use a blog?

Because I started my "blog" before the term "blog" was created when I called it a "journal" (and still do) and long before social networks existed. 

16. What is your quirkiest habit?

I'm a Gilbert & Sullivan fan. (I'm "dull-quirky"!)

17. What is normal? Are you normal?

I don't know...and I hope not.

18. Someone close to you is dying! You have the choice to let this person live for 10 more years but if you do you cause the death of 10 strangers.

And your question is?  Look.  I've lost too many friends unexpectedly to even offer an opinion on this scenario.

19. What is one thing you could never forgive?

There are a handful.  I'm not going to list them here.

20. When you’re alone in your own home, do you talk out loud to yourself?

It's when I use most of my 4-letter words.

21. Who is your favorite super hero?

Superman, of course.  I'm his mother (and today is his birthday -- Happy Birthday, Ned! -- hope I didn't blow your secret cover identity.)

22. Could you be in a long distance relationship?

After being married 48 years, I'm not likely to be up for any relationship, long distance or not.

23. Do you know what makes you happy?

A good book.  A good TV show.  Puppies.  Family.  (Not necessarily in that order)

24. Who was your first crush?

I was in grammar school.  He was a high school kid who used to play at the same playground (only he stuck to the basketball area and I was out by the swings and sandbox).   I think I remember his name was Joe Tupo.  I never met him, but I was sure we would marry some day.  It was a short-lived crush.

25. Where is your favorite place to go out and eat?

There is a place in San Francisco that serves obscenely large whole crabs.  I've only been there once, but it's high on my list of favorites.

26. Are you an early bird or night owl?

My answer to this question used to be "yes," but the older I get the later I sleep in ("late" being 7)

27. Give me an unpopular opinion you have.

I love Rachel Maddow (an opinion that is not shared in this house)

28. Do you believe in giving kids medals and trophies for participation?

I don't know.  I was just listening to a radio program where they discussed how that has warped our children by making them less willing to work hard for honors.  I suppose I agree with that.  Sorta.

29. What song best describes your life right now?

"This Old House"

30. How do you express your creativity?

Yer lookin' at it, Baby.

31. Describe your neighborhood.

Suburban area, nice houses, big trees, wide bike lanes.  Feeling of security and safety.  Makes me feel guilty knowing what conditions my Compassion children live in.

32. Give me the story of your life in 6 words.

Wife, Mom, buried kids, saved puppies

No comments: