Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen quotes I like

1. Never go to the foot when the head can be had. - my godfather
2. I always think there’s a band, kid - Harold Hill (The Music Man)
3. After the first four years the dust doesn't get any thicker. The trick is not to lose one's nerve. - Quentin Crisp
4. Theater is our lifeline to humanity. Without it, we’d all be Republicans. - Ken Ludwig
5. To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt
6. Love is giving someone the power to break your heart, and trusting they will not use it. -- Joyce Cousins
7. The moment you see something wrong and don't say anything, is the moment you start to die.
- Jocelyn Elders, former Surgeon General
8. How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it. - Marcus Aurelius
9. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't necessarily the Promised Land...sometimes it's New Jersey. --Jon Stewart
10. You can only make a difference if you care. - from The Last Session
11. Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin
12. If God were alive today, He'd be an atheist. - Kurt Vonnegut
13. They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Martin Niemoeller

No comments: