Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beliefs

MachinePix.jpg (50211 bytes)The pictures at the left have nothing to do with this entry, but they were so funny, I had to share!

Here is a "beliefs" meme:

1. What were doing 10 years ago?
The outstanding things were starting this blog, shaking hands with Tipper Gore, and meeting both my friends Ruth and Peggy for the first time.

2. Five snacks that you enjoy in a perfect, non weight-gaining world
Donuts, Chocolate Croissants (except in Paris, where they have no calories), Chocolate truffles, Cheesecake, and Creme Brulee.

3. Five things you would do if you were a billionaire:
- Give each of our kids enough money that they don't have to struggle so much

- Travel first class

- Buy a computer with the largest hard drive and fastest speed possible

- See every Broadway show from the orchestra seats and stay in the best hotels while we're there.

- Become a philanthropist, working to help improve the life of kids around the world.

4. Three of your habits:
- Falling asleep at the drop of a hat

- Reading during intermission of shows that I review

- Scratching my head when I'm driving as I begin to get sleepy

5. Five jobs that you've have had:
- Medical office manager and transcriptionist

- Typist

- Theatre critic

- Biller-Clerk

- Test tube washer

6. Five places that you've lived:
- San Francisco

- Berkeley

- Albany (next door to Berkeley)

- Oakland

- Davis

7. Five things that you did yesterday:
- Fed puppies

- Washed towels

- Cleaned the kitchen

- Shopped at Costco

- Spent (too much) time on the internet

8. Five people you would want to get to know more about:
I don't think I could pick out five people. I figure public figures are owed their privacy and should reveal whatever they want to reveal and keep hidden things they want to keep private. As for personal acquaintances, I figure that I'll learn whatever I need to now an don't want to pry. (However, wouldn't it be fun to discover that Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh have some deep, dark, embarrassing, disgusting secrets?)

9. Abortion: for or against it?
I don't think anybody is "for" abortion, but like the people who work in the field, I feel that it should be an available option for women who feel they have no other options. Some people will abuse that option, but for others it is essential (rape victims, molested children, etc.)

10. Do you think the world would fail with a female president?
Good Lord, no. After watching how the men have botched it up, the right female president may be a welcome relief. Look at the countries that have successfully been led by women already.

11. Do you believe in the death penalty?
No. I don't believe in an eye for an eye. I feel that life imprisonment without possibility of parole is a much more harsh punishment and actually costs less than putting someone to death.

12. Do you wish marijuana would be legalized already?
Yes. I've never used marijuana and have no desire to, but it has been proven to be a less dangerous drug than alcohol and think of how much police energy could be put into fighting serious crimes if they weren't sniffing out marijuana growers and users. Heck, set up stores to sell it over the counter and raise money on the tax that could be charged.

13. Are you for or against premarital sex?
I think there is nothing wrong with consensual sex, whether there is a marriage license involved or not.

14. Do you think same sex marriage should be legalized?
Well...duhhh. Anybody who has read this for any length of time at all know that I am all for same sex marriage. Why should one class of citizens be set apart as undeserving of the same rights that the rest of us enjoy? Why should two people in love not be allowed to make a legal commitment to each other? Why deny divorce attorneys of the opportunity to make even more money?

15. Do you think it's wrong that so many Hispanics are illegally moving to the USA?
I think the question is wrong. Hispanics are not the only illegal aliens here and I feel it is unfair to focus strictly on those who are here illegally from Mexico. I don't have the answer, but the solutions that have been presented thus far all seem ineffective. Why should we spend billions to build a wall or send men with rifles to the border when people from other countries fly into the country on a tourist visa and disappear into the crowd all the time?

16. Should the alcohol age be lowered to eighteen?
This is a difficult question. I would hate to see it lowered to 18 so that there can be drunken high school graduation parties, but if someone is willing to risk his/her life for this country, they should be allowed to drink alcohol, if they want.

17. Should the war in Iraq be called off?
You can't just "call it off." But we should definitely be working to bring the troops home, which we are.

18. Assisted suicide is illegal: do you agree?
I have held beloved pets in my arms and watched as they peacefully leave this life. Why should we force beloved humans to suffer if they are ready to leave this world?

19. Do you believe in spanking your children?
Heck no. They're all big enough to beat me up if I do.

20. Do you worry that others will judge you from reading some of your answers?
I have no doubt that some may, but what am I going to do...lie? I am who I am, I believe what I believe and I don't apologize for having an opinion.

4 comments:

jon said...

I love these questions. perhaps I will try to answer them later on. I feel too long winded today.

a will answer question #5 partly. I have worked in a shoe department of a large store and I cleaned toilets.

A turd never whined "My feet hurt." I would rather clean toilets.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. Now I'm craving creme brulee!

Kwizgiver said...

This is a great meme. I may have to steal it for when I need some blog fodder.

And I love your final answer.

::mingle::

Bev Sykes said...

The nice thing about memes is that you don't "steal" them because they have been stolen many times before you ever get to them, I suspect!

I'd love to read your answers.