Saturday, June 19, 2010

Good Bye, God, I'm going to Finland

Today was your typical "day before taking off for a cruise in Russia" sort of day. I had an appointment to give blood at 9 a.m., and did that. "No strenuous exercise for 48 hrs," they cautioned. I figured that since I would be in a car and then in a plane for the better part of the next 48 hrs, that was a pretty safe thing to promise.

For some reason I've had a terrible craving for a hot dog for the past several days. I don't know why. I don't think I've had a hot dog in literally years. But I stopped by the store and got a package of hot dogs, a package of buns, some potato chips and refilled my supply of Vitamin D, then came home and made lunch, the aforementioned hot dog.

I began to feel weird, kind of clammy, and whenever I stood up, I felt like I was going to vomit. I still hadn't packed a thing and the dogs were making that pretty much impossible, especially Basil who chased every strap of every piece of luggage or piece of clothing I tried to fold, and decided to clamp his jaws firmly on the leg of my sweat pants (which is just the thing you want to wear on a warm day, but these are old and ratty and I figure if he ruined them, I'd just throw them away). I walked around the house dragging the puppy along on the floor, unable to get those pit bull jaws to unclench. If only I could have figured out how to drag him up against the baseboards of the hall, I wouldn't have to sweep.

At some point Valerie came to work with Polly. Having forgotten she was coming, I had not locked Sheila and Lizzie outside, or coraled any of the puppies and with 7 dogs rushing the front door, it was beyond chaos. I think even Polly was glad to go for a walk.

By the time Valerie left, I really wasn't feel well at all, so tried to take a nap, until Emmy spied Walt and began her "Ihateyou, Ihateyou, Ihateyou" bark. I will miss Emmy. I will not miss her barking.

I finally managed--somehow--to get sort of packed, in the process finding the poncho I've been looking for for a week--I had checked the wrong suitcase and all of my specially purchased France/Italy stuff was where it should have been--in the suitcase where I'd left it. In the meantime my friend Joan had loaned me her ponchos, which was good because Walt didn't have one anyway. I also found the liquid detergent I bought for France/Italy and never used. That will be a big help.

As I write this it is 7:30 p.m. and all I have to do now before we leave 12 hours from now is (a) go to opening night of Crazy for You, (b) come home and write the review, (c) take a shower, (d) wash every stitch of clothing I have on at the moment, (e) make brownies for Ashley, (f) clean up SOMETHING in the kitchen (though I make no promises), and if there is any time left, maybe sleep a little. Then we're off and will be in transit for about 18-20 hours.

I'm hoping to keep this updated while on our trip.

1 comment:

Mary Z said...

From what you've said, I guess Walt is going on this trip, too. That'll be fun. I hope you have a terrific time, even with the long travel time.