Monday, April 19, 2010

Save Me a Seat

We went to see All Shook Up at the Woodland Opera House on Saturday night. It's a very thin plot based on the songs of Elvis Presley.

I wore the perfect shirt.

ElvisShirt.jpg (46391 bytes)

I think I've mentioned my "seating problem" when I go to see a show. Because of that damn bike accident back in 2003, I can't sit with my leg bent for a whole show. I need to stretch the leg out. In most theaters where I review, it's not a problem. Either there is lots of space between rows or there is space under the row in front of me for my leg.

In the theatres where there is a seating problem, over the past 7 years I have trained the people who pull my tickets to give me either an aisle seat or a seat somewhere in their roomiest row.

At the Woodland Opera House, anywhere in their orchestra section is just fine, but any seat NOT in the orchestra is terribly uncomfortable. The woman I usually speak with about tickets didn't answer the phone when I called; the theatre manager did. We chatted for a bit and when I asked him for tickets, I specified that I wanted something in the orchestra section.

When we got there, our seats where not in the orchestra section, but in the section that was the most uncomfortable for my knee. The usher directed me to the head usher and told me that she would solve my problem.

I spoke with the head usher and she was extremely solicitous. So solicitous that I felt almost guilty that I didn't have a real handicap. I also got a taste of what it must be like to need special seating because of a handicap.

First she rushed around to find me a seat so I could sit while she conferred with the box office to find out what to do with me. When I didn't sit down right away, she must have told me three times that it was OK for me to sit down until she found a real seat for me.

She finally came and gave us a seat in the wheelchair section (which has regular chairs that you can move back, or remove, depending on the need of the customer. We settled in to get ready for the show.

The usher came back to let me know that they sell refreshments on the second floor at intermission and that they had an elevator I could ride up if I wanted to partake. She was being very nice, but I felt as if I had "cripple" written on my back.

When the show ended, the usher came back again to let me know that the next time I come to their theatre I should ask for Row O and I could sit in the wheelchair section again.

I felt like I should at the very least have a walker with me to make her feel better. As for the show itself, here's a preview of the start of my review:

If you’re going to enjoy the Woodland Opera House’s production of "All Shook Up," the first thing you have to do is forget all about the inane plot and dialog. It can be summed up pretty simply: It’s "Footloose" meets "Mama Mia," with a bit of "Twelfth Night" thrown in.

This musical, based on the music of Elvis Presley, tells the story of a town where the mayor has passed the Mamie Eisenhower Decency Act, which does not allow any public demonstrations of affection and forbids such things as dancing and rock ‘n’ roll.

Into the town comes a motorcycle-riding, guitar-playing, hip shaking stud to shake, rattle and roll things up. Repressed feelings start popping out all over the place.

Try to follow this: Dennis is in love with Natalie, who is in love with Chad, who is in love with Miss Sandra, who is in love with Ed (who is really Natalie disguised as a man to be able to stick closer to Chad). Then there is Natalie’s father Jim, who is also in love with Miss Sandra and Sylvia, who is in love with Jim. And then there is mayor’s son Dean who falls in love Priscilla’s daughter Lorraine and Sheriff Earl who has been in love with the Mayor for years.

There’s a whole lotta shakin’ going on!

I have to admit it wasn't my favorite show, but at least the dancing was really good. And my knee was comfortable!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Love the shirt!