Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Night Before the Night Before

As I write this it's the night before the night before Christmas and we are nestled in around Alice Nan & Joe's Christmas tree, eating Christmas cookies and trying to keep Dexter from stealing food.

It was a Dexter kinda day. First, Jeri and I took Dexter on a walk around the lagoon near my mother's house and he saw his first ducks.

When we got back to the house, there was a cat approaching. The cat took stock of this little pipsqueak on a leash and decided to torment him by settling in just out of reach.

It was time to pack up and head to Santa Barbara, so we said goodbye to my mother

...and we turned our sights toward Santa Barbara.

Dexter was so good on the ride down. He alternated between sleeping in my lap or sleeping in Jeri's.

And when we stopped for lunch at the Burger Queen, he very nicely peed for us.

Jeri has been working on getting him to sit and stay and he's actually learned very quickly. He sits on demand unless the ground is cold. He had been sitting so quickly and so willingly all day until we got to the Burger Queen. I finally decided it was because he didn't want to sit on cold concrete, so I got a towel out of the car and put it down and he sat right down. I guess if you have a hairless butt, sitting on cold concrete is not something you want to do!

So anyway we're here, Walt and Jeri have gone to visit Grandma Sykes, we've had a lovely spaghetti dinner and are sitting around chatting and will soon all go to sleep. Let's see how Dexter sleeps in this house.

So far he's been a delight to bring, even if I do live in fear of his soiling Alice & Joe's new light tan carpet!

No comments: