Friday, January 23, 2009

taking it for a test drive

We'll it's had a couple of days to rest and relax and it was time to take the eye out for a test drive.

The Academy Awards nominations were announced at 5:30 this morning. Since I'd been awake since 3, I was there to see it all live. It wasn't that I had insomnia. I had actually fallen asleep some time between 9 and 9:30, so by 3, I had been sleeping six hours, which is like a full night for me. So I piddled around the house doing stuff and then at 5:30 I was there for the reading of the nominations (then I fell back asleep and slept until nearly 9--unheard of for me!). The Oscar nominations echoed the Golden Globes -- Slum Dog Millionaire took 10 nominations, including best picture (it won best picture at the Golden Globes).

So when Walt asked if I wanted to go see Slum Dog Millionaire this afternoon, I jumped at the chance. It was my first chance to be out and about. On the drive home from the hospital, I was still adjusting to things, but I'm getting used to bright colors, I've found a pair of old glasses that kinda sorta work for me and the eye doesn't get as tired of seeing as it did the first day. I also wanted to stop at a store on the way home and see if I could find some of those over the counter glasses that allow you to read better. If I could find the right pair, maybe they would tide me over until I get my new lenses a month from now.

My vision is so "normal" is that I never even thought about it during the movie. Either it was because the movie was so good or I'm really getting used to the "new normal."

Go. Go and see Slum Dog Millionaire. I was prepared to like it, but in the first few minutes I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not. But the little boys in the movie are so wonderful and engaging despite horrible situations that you can't help but be drawn in, and by the time they grow up, you're hooked on the story itself. And when it's all over, you know why it won the Golden Globe for best picture of the year. Do yourself a big favor and see it.

Of course, when we came out, I had a craving for Indian food. We did the next best thing and went to Katmandu, which is Nepalese, but curry is curry. Walt had lamb curry, I had lamb coconut and both were delicious. I even ordered a glass of wine to celebrate my return to almost-visual acuity.

I have joined the ranks of the people raving about how great cataract surgery is, and frustrated that there is no way you can demonstrate "before" and "after." I did note with great pleasure that I could look into an oncoming headlight without it giving me a headache, or without the halos completely filling my field of vision.

We went to Longs after dinner and I tried their magnifying glasses, but unfortunately even with my "improved" vision, they still don't have a strong enough pair for me. The magnification only goes up to +3.0 and I suspect I need at least +4.0. But that's OK. I can continue to use what I'm using now.

So I'm very happy!

When we got home I went to sit down at my computer and discovered that the webcam which sits on the monitor was gone. Walt had done a lot of crawling around under my desk (since I can't get down there myself) trying to organize some cords and apparently in the process had knocked the camera off.

The problem was that we couldn't find it. He didn't know what it looked like and I couldn't bend down to see if I could find it. I finally had the solution.

webcam.JPG (44698 bytes)

I turned the camera on from the keyboard and shined the flashlight around and voila! We found it right away.


There is great news about Nicki. She's gone two whole days without an accident at Ashley's house. She's spent a lot of time in her cage, but it's working. She also finally learned about cheese and will take it out of Ashley's hands as a reward. At the same time not one, but two families, one in So. California and one in Oregon, are interested in her. Maybe it's finally Nicki's turn for a forever home--and maybe she's learned enough that a placement will be a success. Hold the good thought!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SO happy about the eye! Yaay, Bev.