Monday, June 9, 2008

Everybody is Invited!!!

It's going to be a marvelous party and everybody is invited. Bet you'll be sorry that you don't live in/near Davis.

The group attempting to write a ban on same sex marriages into the California constitution has qualified enough signatures and so the initiative will be on the ballot in November, which means that in November straight people get to decide whether we should put discrimination in the constitution against gay people who want to commit their lives to each other.

The group has petitioned the state Supreme Court to postpone implementation of their ruling permitting gay marriage in California until after the voters have had their say in November.

But the Supreme Court just refused their request, and, with the last hurdle apparently removed, as of 5:01 on June 16th, same sex marriages can start being held in California.

es-sf.jpg (52031 bytes)

So, on June 16th at the very first minute permitted, after a 34 year "engagement," Ellen and Shelly are being married at a very small, private ceremony at county courthouse. It's legal this time. I'm not sure what they are going to do on Valentine's Day, when they don't have to go to the courthouse to be turned away yet again. This time County Recorder Freddie Oakley will not only issue a legal marriage license to them, but she will pay the costs herself, something she has been promising to do for years, and they will be married in a small room set aside for marriages (gay and straight) at the courthouse.

While the marriage ceremony is private, the party is open to everybody. That means YOU, even if you have never met them.

They have rented the Veterans Memorial Center on Saturday evening, June 21st, at 8 p.m. It's going to be a crazy weekend for us because Peach and her husband Bob are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary that day. I was their maid of honor, 50 years ago, and there is no way I am missing that party. BUT, there is also no way I will miss Ellen and Shelly's wedding reception.

Fortunately for me, the anniversary party is at 4 p.m., 10 miles from here, so we can easily get to the party and then be here for the wedding reception.

Which is a good thing, since I'm making the wedding cake. I told them I make all their wedding cakes (I think this is the third wedding cake I will have made for them!).

cutcake.jpg (17678 bytes)

valcake.jpg (8650 bytes)

(This time we only need two female figures; we don't need the male figures)

It will be a good practice for making Jeri and Phil's wedding cake in August.

Ellen called yesterday to ask that I mention their wedding reception here in Funny the World because she would like to make sure that everyone who has been reading about them here over the years knows that they are invited to join the party.

So...if you're in the neighborhood, mark your calendars and y'all come to help them celebrate this tremendous victory, and the celebration of their love for each other and their battle to get the right to marry.

8 p.m., Saturday June 21st, Veterans Memorial Center, Davis. No R.S.V.P. necessary.


While the video of the day, over there in the left column, may be the singlemost unflattering thing of me I have ever posted, it accurately depicts how mornings start around here. The dogs and I have our morning "love-in," which I suspect may be more hunger-driven on their part than love-driven, but still it's a nice sort of tradition.

These two puppies I have now are just so sweet. They occasionally flare up at each other, but both are just loves. Right now, for example, they are curled up, yin yang style, under my feet. Naturally my cameras -- all of them -- are in the other room and if I move, they will get up. So I will just have to remember the moment.

Scrappy is particularly sweet, for a puppy who arrived here back toward the middle of April, as a terrified dog who wouldn't let me touch him unless I sat down and let him jump into my lap -- and who never accepted Walt. Perhaps he's so relaxed around here this time around because I'm the only adult here. I'm not sure when his other foster family is going to take him back, but I'm in no hurry to give him up. He sleeps lying along my back, with his head and front paws draped over my shoulder and it's very sweet. Neither of us must move throughout the night because when I wake up in the morning, he's still hanging there. When he knows I'm awake, he starts licking my face.

Gizmo, on the other hand, sleeps curled up on my feet and wakes groggily, not ready to join the love-in until we've moved it out of the living room and into the family room.

They are sweet little guy who will leave another hole in my heart when they go, whether soon or a long time from now (probably longer for Gizmo than for Scrappy), but I'm thoroughly enjoying having them here now.

I watched "Groomer Has It" last night, with the last four grooming contestants prettying up some shelter dogs. The dogs were so pathetic, two of them having been breeders for puppy mills. The dogs were just so thrilled to have human touch and to have someone fuss over them. I held Scrappy and Gizmo close and gave them lots of loving while we watched the show.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tag, you're it!
I tagged you for a meme. Details are on my blog.

Mary Z said...

Tag, you're it. I got you, too.

Marilyn said...

Congratulations to the happy couple! Just saw you on the news! Sorry for the stupid protesters, but I'm so happy this day has finally come!