Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Medicine, Messes and Martians

The day started with the first (of what I am sure will be many) trip to Kaiser for Walt to meet with his orthopedist. Things went surprisingly quick, with her assessment that the folks in the ER had done a fine job of lining up his bones and putting on the splint, so all that needed to be done today was putting on the fiberglass cast (which Walt says is Very Heavy). We were out of there in no time, relatively speaking.

The hardest thing was just finding a place to park. The hospital was not new when we moved here in 1973 and it has only increased in membership since then. At certain times of day, the only way you can get a place to park is to follow someone heading into the parking lot with keys in hand and hope they aren't just picking up something out of the trunk. Not only that, but there are HUGE cars (SUVs and trucks) parked in compact spots and it makes the row very, very narrow. Being a nice, thoughtful person, when I parked, I pulled up as close as I could to the car facing me, leaving my back end pulled in nice and tight (which I can do with the car, unlike with the back end I carry with me at all times).

When we returned to the car there was an irate woman who wanted to be sure to know that I had hit her car. She said it over and over again that I had hit her car. She said "get out and see," so I pulled back a bit to examine the damage and she said she didn't say I had caused any damage, but she just wanted me to know that I had hit her car. She drove off angrily.

When we got home, the dogs were, as usual, thrilled to see us. Rupert danced and danced and danced, right in the big pile of poop he had left right in the middle of the kitchen floor. I couldn't get to him before he'd smeared it everywhere. I had a huge mess to clean up, and a dog to bathe.

Then we tried to go to Taco Bell to collect the free taco they advertised for a stolen base during the world series:

The store would not give a free taco without a purchase of some other food item, so I've made a very brief video (which pretty much says what I have written here) and am trying to spread the word about the 77-cent fraud perpetrated by the Davis Taco Bell. Harumph! They caused more ill will than they would have spent on ingredients for the free tacos.

But the fun was in the last part of the day. This was the day they were going to screen The Martian Child prior to its theatre opening on November 2. My editor invited Walt and me to go with him. (The Photo of the Day was going to be the photo David sent me from when he and Sean attended the premiere in LA a week or so ago, but, of course, it's on my desktop, which I still don't have back.)

The movie is a real feel-good movie which does justice to the book. The one glaring difference is that John Cusack is a widower, not a gay man, but as David says, straight people can be just as good as adoptive parents as gay people can, so it didn't really affect the movie.

There were a few places where I almost guffawed outright, not because they were so funny but because anybody who knows David and Sean would find them very funny (and no, I won't say where or why!)

But I laughed, I cried and I was thrilled that the movie turned out so well. Can't ask for a better cast: John Cusack, Joan Cusack, Oliver Platt, Angela Houston, Amanda Peet and, as Dennis, young Bobby Coleman.

Go see this movie; you won't be disappointed. Even my critical editor called it "charming."

When the movie finished it was nearly 9 p.m. and we hadn't had dinner so I suggested we go to Olive Garden, where we both had a great grilled shrimp caprese

...and then came home to the rowdy dogs again. I'm praying Rupert doesn't figure out the dog door. It is my one refuge from him. He's very sweet, but he won't just sleep at my feet like the other dogs do, and I can't work with him in my lap.

When Walt started to head upstairs to get ready for bed, he made a terrible discovery. They had him pull up the arm of his shirt when they added the fiberglass cast over his splint and the arm of the shirt is too narrow to go over the new cast, so I had to cut it off of him. Fortunately, it is a shirt that has some wear in it, so it's not like having to destroy a new shirt.

It's been a long day and I'm ready to sleep.

No comments: